Thursday 26 June 2008

INARI AND THE MIDNIGHT SUN AND THE SAMI




rder="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5216270777016906466" />
, It is an extraordinary experience watching the sun not set.
Endless day for months.
It feels so strange and so magical – mythical. I think we both felt elation and excitement – I know I did. It feels like a gift of infinite time in which you can do as you please. No more need for lighting and not quite so much for heating. Unfortunately the camera, when pointed at the sun, thinks everything else ought to be in shadow so darkens all the other objects. In fact everything was in broad, bright, daylight.
You think, mistakenly, that you can do without sleep.
These photos were taken at Inari where there is a Sami knowledge centre and an island in the middle of the lake sacred to the Sami. It can be seen behind Ruth in one of the photos.
I am so glad I have seen the Midnight Sun and experienced endless day . . .
For a moment, R, I grasped the concept of a Heaven of eternal light.
John says to tell you that the camera lies. These photos all look as if it was dark - it was broad daylight in fact. I don't know how to adjust the camera for the direct shot into the sun.

No comments: