Saturday 30 March 2013

Barcelona Marathon. The start.

In my own defence I ought to say that my training for this run had been compromised in a number of ways. The weather in the months before was exceptionally wet, producing the floods mentioned elswhere in this blog. Secondly we had two or three days snow - not fatal but it didn't help. Thirdly about four weeks before the run I twisted my right ankle while skiing and was unable to train. The ankle was beginning to get better under the physiotherapist's care when I developed a compensatory problem with my left knee. Four days before the marathon the physio sent me to the doctor's for emergency treatment for the left leg which was now considerably swollen. The doctor prescribed me some strong cortisone treatment with the parting words "there won't be any drug-testing, will there?" 
 
These first photos were taken the evening of our arrival in Barcelona. Having a hazy idea of the size of the city at that time (an idea which was clarified on the Sunday when I "ran" 42point195km around it) we got a taxi to the Placa de Espanya and Palau de Catalunya where the Marathon was to start on the Sunday. 
 

The building on the left of the pictures was where the Marathon exhibition was and from where we picked up our race numbers. At the top of the steps (behind my head in the second photo) is the Magic Fountain where a water show takes place each evening attended by many locals.


Here I am checking in my timing chip. You can just about make out my number 13618 on the screen behind me.


And here are the legs which achieved the feat.



I don't know who these blokes and one woman are (88% of the entrants are men). There are running around the Placa Colom and were miles and hours ahead of me at the time. They were probably showered, changed and in the bar by the time I finished.




No comments: