Sunday 31 March 2013

The end of the Barcelona Marathon. The end of all Marathons?

I had not asked anyone to see me off at the start of the marathon. It was an 8:30 start and would have meant people leaving our flats at around 7. Besides when the race set off, it was raining quite hard and looked set for the day. In fact the conditions for running were perfect, showery and overcast in the morning becoming brighter as the day wore on. And wear on it duly did. Here are Jasmine and Amethyst getting worn down at the Finish. 
 


Ben and Ruth grinning and bearing it later on.


Irene, Lesley, Graham and Pete putting a bold front on it.


And then giving up and going for a coffee.


But, hours later when we had disappeared from the timing mats, we made it. I and my new friend Kamal, who I had met just over half-way round, struggled over the Finishing Line. I with my two blackened toenails and he with his blisters.





True the medal ceremony lacked the grandeur which we deserved, but we had done it.


And Ruth and Ben were there at the bitter end.


Here I am giving my speech of appreciation to the organisers, sponsors, volunteers and most of all to the support crew who had accompanied me to Barcelona.


Two weeks later I am still saying this was my last marathon. I did my first one at 60, and in the 10 years which have followed I ran (but mostly walked) 7 others. That's enough!

Ieuan and Lucy had already booked tickets to see Barcelona FC play that night at the Nou Camp stadium against Rayo Vallecano who they beat 3-1, with 2 goals from Messi. I and Amethyst, Ben and Pete went as well. In a 100 000 seater stadium we all had seats with a perfect view of the pitch, and after the match we walked into the nearest bar which was busy but far from full and had a round of drinks.  Could we have done that with an equivalent club in the UK? We doubted it.

No comments: