Sunday 31 March 2013

A Cheap Post - a Surfeit of Sanglier

Actually this Post is a cheat as well as cheap since I have copied it from our friend June Gadsby's Facebook post of this morning. To make acknowledgement, I'll print it in inverted commas.

"Today, I'm recovering from our wonderful Hunters' Banquet, an annual event in our village. Vegetarians please look elsewhere because I'm going to wax lyrical about what I ate yesterday. Bear in mind that I live in SW France [Gascony] a stone's throw from the fabulous Pyrenees dressed in all their snowy white glory at the moment. The meal cost 16 euros a head and was cooked and served by member ...of the Society of the Hunt [Societe de Chasse]. We started with Pearls de Japon consomme [tapioca in case you don't know what this is], followed by a huge slice of fresh salmon in a wonderful sauce. Then there was Civet de Sanglier a rich stew of wild boar cooked in the traditional way, I'm sure with beer and chocolate. Next up was the most tender slices of grilled sanglier with potatoes and green bean drenched in butter and garlic. To cleanse the palate there followed some slices of sheep's cheese and dressed lettuce. And for dessert a pile of profiteroles filled with ice cream with hot chocolate sauce and a topping of whipped cream. A good local wine was included, as was coffee. And when we all thought we might sink into the sunset - it was beginning to sink even though we had been there since midday - they brought around the Armagnac and the liqueurs. Oh boy. If I had died last night I would have died happy."

My memory of the final third of yesterday was write-only. I can't remember it at all. The last thing I remember was the Armagnac bottle being emptied into my glass. After that, I slept for 14 1/2 hours. And no hangover! 

 

No comments: