Saturday 8 November 2008

HATTUSAS - THE HITTITE CITY 1300 BC

I hope I can get this right, this time. I have messed up (expletives deleted) my comments on this post three times so far. Here I am standing between the plinthstones (no, not Fred and Irma) of the main doorway to the chief temple of the Hittite Empire at Hattusas. It must have been bloody enormous.





Here are two shots of the triumphal avenue which don't really give much idea of scale. It's about 20 feet wide.





Here I am standing next to the feet - just the feet, remember - of one of the Hittite sphinxes who used to guard the gates. Just think how big the whole creatures would have been!



This is a block of polished green marble given by Rameses II to the Hittite Emperor whose name I'll check. Ruth, I, Rameses II and the Hittite emperor have all touched this block. I bet they'd be proud!





Think really old history - - like before the Israelites in the Bible - well Rameses 2 and Moses maybe! Turkey is all old and new testament .

We are grateful to the Austrian camper in Korchula who advised us about Bogazkale and Hatussas - there is more to come

No comments: