Friday 2 May 2008

You can't have everything

We have now stayed at a number of campsites, presently in Krakow (choose your own spelling of the town name, the guide book I am currently using spells it 3 different ways, sometimes on the same page). The variety of Everything I was thinking of when substituting the above title for the "Hooray!!" it was to have been was the kind of everything that you hope for when entering a crockery washing area in a fresh campsite. What you hope for is that there will be hot as well as cold water, drains that allow the waste water to run away instead of welling up in all the other sinks (into which you have put your cleaned items, which are then submerged by the contents of the waste trap), draining boards rather than the ground over which the aforementioned errant waste water and sludge is about to run, lighting at night so you can see what you are washing, what you have washed twice and what you haven't washed at all and sinks that are not fitted so low that you scrape you head against the wall when bending low enough to reach the objects of your attention. You usually get most of the desiderata, but never all.

The jettisoned "Hooray" title was to have been apposite since I have now learned how to cut and paste in the new Word(TM). I found that cutting and pasting are apparently little-used commands (not surprising if they're so well hidden) in the new Word and are only to be found in an "Advanced" section of the menu. I must be getting really expert, I've never done anything before deserving of the description "Advanced". However, I am using Ruth's computer to write this piece and the elegantly crafted contributions I was going to insert are safely (and distantly)stored on my own computer. You can't have everything.

Another reason for the "Hooray" would have been that I managed to write this Post using a Polish menu which I actually couldn't understand but which I guessed from my memory of how the English menu used to look.

17h50 CET. Time for a drink, I think. Is it to be a can of Polish lager or a slug of the vodka I have just bought under the brand name of "Absolwent"? Does that mean that it has qualities flesh-stripping in their asperity or that drinking it will absolwe me of all gins?

Cheers,

John

No comments: