Tuesday 18 June 2013

THE SHAPING OF A WRITER

Ruth explains why she writes:-

'The old storyteller has travelled on vanished roads in other worlds. Now she importunes the guest at the celebrity wedding of Commerce and Advertising.
 
'Stop! Listen! My spellbinding story is soon told. It has been years in the making though it measures only as long as my short life.'
 
'It is a story of Yesterday, and Today walks over it with deaf feet on a road that circles backwards.'
 
'I have spent my time unravelling the nettle shirts from the backs of princes to give them back their voices and their swan wings.'
 
'Now they are ordinary people and sing of war and engineering, of drowned valleys and damage, of politics and principles, of murder and gardens, women, men, love and crocodiles. Mine is a story for travellers in unknown and magic lands. Mine is the story of everyday and everyone.'
 
'My story is your story.' 


No comments: