Sunday 21 February 2010

SPRUNG SPRING

Today this is a cold grey blanket of cloud high overhead but in the distance the Pyrenees are lit by a neon-pale lemony brilliance. They are sorbet snow.

Two days ago it was a warm spring day and we sat outside for coffee with our neighbour. Today there is an icy breeze – we don’t have much wind here so I am not complaining. Anyway the fire is burning inside with a huge pile of ironing next to it. I won’t do the weeding and tilling I planned.

The daffodils are up but not yet in bloom. Some yellow and lilac crocuses and tiny snowdrops have appeared. Not many considering how many I planted but it is early days. The birds have unwisely started courting – as yet there are no buds on the fruit trees or shrubs.

John and I are doing house-keeping tidying-up chores and getting costumes ready for the village ‘Carnaval’. We each have a mask – ‘un loup’ for our ‘deguisement’.

'the spring is sprung
the grass is ris
I wonder where dem birdies is?
Dem birds is on the wing.
But how absurd!
Dem wings is on the birds!'

No comments: