Thursday 10 July 2008

MONEY VIRGIN



I am pure and untouched by commerce. I have become a money virgin!
I love it!
It won’t last. It can’t last!

To a degree, the modern west is a moneyless society. John and I, as pensioners, use as little money as possible. Food, campsites, sight-seeing is mostly on the ‘card’. Having left the Euro behind, we whipped from country to country changing currencies very fast. What we have to spend, we have to spend. It was simpler and quicker and less painful for John to hold the purse rather than us both to work out exchange rates and new coinage.
Instead of feeling disempowered, I have felt liberated. It has been a real treat to carry no money, do no sums, and not to fiddle with change that always includes a ‘wrong’ coin.
I still lug the camera, the only working phone, and the passports around in my still heavy bag, but being a money virgin is real heaven.
Thank you John for knowing about boring things like currencies and coins and the flags of different countries!

No comments: