Thursday 26 June 2008

TALLINN





Tallinn was great and convenient. We camped on the Pirita dock at the Olympic Sailing Venue built by the Russians for the 1980 Games so we thought of all you sailing people at London Docklands training for more games and wish you the best - especially littlelegs J.
Old John has done a long Estonian blog so I needn’t say much more. The Tallinn beaches are lovely and there are swans all along the shore. We enjoyed the old town and cycled along the coast.

We had our first free camping experience in Tallinn. We left Pirita for a patch of waste land so that we could get on the ferry at 6.30am. Clever John found us a delicious dinner on the top deck of a small moored steamer, the Admiral from where we had a wonderful view of the Old Town.
The Pirita docks also provided me with a solution to the sad story of my Giant electric bicycle as there was a Giant dealer nearby.
I was so proud of my bike thinking it would allow me to keep up easily with John on our travels. Well it was too big and heavy for me – too Giant. I managed it fine on smooth empty roads near Cranfield but on cobbles, potholes, over roots and up stairs I couldn’t hold it steady or lift it up or brake quickly in a crowd or in traffic. My arms and shoulders ached and my knees hurt. It became a nightmare and I simply refused to get onto it because I was too afraid of crashing.
Anyhow the Giant dealer liked my bike and swopped it for a very ordinary one that I can manage. It is a financial loss but John and I had a lovely ride along the Tallinn beach front.
The bike picture is actually in Lulea Sweden.

No comments: