Thursday 26 June 2008

LAPLAND PARADISE






We found Paradise right after we fled from the rain in Lakeland Finland. We went in search of Elk at Wild Lapland where Velli took us on a midnight sun safari. Elk are solitary, forest loving, night beasts. It took two safaris to find them and the photos are terrible because they are so shy. John in fact spotted the first one before Velli!
The camp site was lovely and we were alone. There was a sauna, a lake, and a washing machine.
Old John and I went rowing on the lake and thought of sailing, the sailors and Littlelegs J.
I went fishing. The Finnish supermarkets sell good quality fishing gear and I could not resist the opportunity to get some. I thought I had forgotten how but it is coming back bit by bit as I try out my new Abu Garcia ‘girl’s’ rod. (I did NOT get the ladies’ pink Shakespeare.) I lost two lures and didn’t have a bite. The water is peat-brown so it is hard to see the weeds and judge the depth but I enjoyed myself enormously!

Then Paradise was lost abruptly as 17 German campervans containing 34 people in mosquito masks with a number of dogs arrived en route to Russia. We did still continue to enjoy ourselves but we were surrounded. Instead we went to supper and ate reindeer which has quite a distinctive and strong flavour.

(Note from John. That’s not whole reindeer we ate, just some bits.)

(Second note from John. See how I resisted tired stereotypical jokes about Germans. It wasn’t easy.)

No comments: