Wednesday 30 January 2008

The Lounge on Wheels




Or is it a 'living room' or a 'parlour' on wheels. Or will we be the 'loungers' on wheels?


I was actually appalled at the idea of owning a campervan/mobilehome and travelling around in it. I thought of them as extremely 'naff'. No other word would do. I still feel there is a curious dissonance about taking a typically English 'lounge' with you on your travels. Perhaps it is what the Roma aspire to but it doesn't attract me - I rather fancy an Arabian pavilion for myself . . .

I have not only accepted the idea of the campervan but see its practicality and its economy - at least I hope it will prove economic to live in and to run.


However a degree at least, of comfort is necessary however you travel and wherever you go. A comfortable mattress for sleeping, chairs that don't give you backache, screens that exclude insects and mosquitos, an interior that gives the illusion of space and provides a minimum of privacy. You can't get your personal taste in upholstery but the pattern and colour will bring your mood down if they are ugly.

We do have skylights/ventilators in the van and mosquito mesh on the door. The fixed bed we hope will be more comfortable than one assembled from cushions. We haven't yet bought any chairs -

Anyway we are still asking and hoping that friends who follow us on line can offer us their world-wise experience.


We want to be green - enviromental and eco-friendly -

we want to have fun -

and as I am supposed to have some aesthetic values, I don't want my credibility destroyed and any illusions about me and my good taste smashed. Mind you they may be my illusions!




No comments: